Bazaar still below the radar when evaluating VCS tools

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Fri Feb 26 10:45:59 GMT 2010

> From: Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com>
> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:37:43 +1100
> Cc: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>, bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> On 26 February 2010 20:30, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:
> >> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
> >> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:36:28 +0900
> >> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
> >>
> >> It *is* nice to have a bisectable history.  There are two ways to get
> >> it.  One is to never commit until you are sure you have a sufficiently
> >> clean version.  The other is to commit when you feel like
> >> checkpointing, then edit out the commits that don't say anything
> >> interesting, or are broken.
> >
> > How do you ``edit out commits'' with Bazaar?  What are the commands to
> > issue in that case?
>
> I think people typically just uncommit, and go back only to the last
> commit they were happy with

But "bzr uncommit" can only remove all the revisions between N and M,
it cannot selectively remove some of them, a-la a kind of reverse
cherrypicking, can it?  I thought Stephen was talking about
selectively ``editing out'' some of the commits, which are deemed
unimportant for the general public, or which were reversed by a later
commit.

> but you can also use bzr-rewrite.

That's bzr-rebase, right?  If so, I thought it can only modify the
starting point of a branch.  So again, you cannot selectively edit out
commits with bzr-rebase, you can only edit out a contiguous series of
commits from the original branching point to some later revision on
the branch.  Am I missing something?