Bazaar still below the radar when evaluating VCS tools

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at grenoble-inp.fr
Wed Feb 24 22:07:59 GMT 2010

Max Bowsher <maxb at f2s.com> writes:

> On 24/02/10 07:04, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> Thus in git or mercurial it's only possible to
>> detect a rename if the contents remain substantially intact,
>
> Not true, Mercurial does record copy metadata. Agreed that it's a bit
> of a hacky implementation, and doesn't appear to be surfaced in the UI
> anywhere I can find, but it does record it.

Mercurial does record it, yes. Additionnally, you have "hg addremove
-s" to do the auto-detection at commit time. This command obviously
have the intrinsic limitations of automatic detection, but you're not
forced to use it, and if you don't, then hg will trust the information
given explicitely by hg mv, hg cp, ...

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/