Working with remote code

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Wed Feb 24 11:34:29 GMT 2010

Hello all,

In the company I work for we work on some internal software that is nowhere
near any releasable/packageable, etc. form, furthermore testing it often
requires putting it on some server which has the environment setup, etc.
Currently there is a development server which has everything setup and most
programmers actually work directly on that via remote shell.

There is a plan to migrate towards development on own workstations and using
some of the fancy GUIs, etc ;)  This however means that testing a change,
program, etc. now has to be preceded with some form of deployment/upload and
possibly opening a remote shell to run the program.

What I currently do is I usually keep a copy of the branch I'm working on on
the dev server and push to it whenever I want to test some change.  It isn't
very handy when you push a change and run only to discover some missing
bracket is causing syntax error :D

For some other software I've written some hackish deployment scripts (with
Fabric) and use that, but that usually has the same problem except that I
don't have commits for every missing bracket fixed ;)

I was wondering if anyone else here on the list deals with similar
workflows/situations.  If so I'd be really interested to hear how, any specific
tools that are helpful, etc.

BTW, someone here suggested setting up samba on the dev server and keeping the
branches there and working on them remotely, has anyone done anything like
that?  I remember reading about some problems with that approach but can't
remember what it was precisely.

Appreciate any thoughts on that,
Regards,
Michael

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12