Bazaar still below the radar when evaluating VCS tools

Joseph Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Feb 24 06:06:34 GMT 2010

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> He at least is the one that wrote the hg book. IIRC he had some problems
> with legal stuff (like his employer using bk and him developing hg,
> etc.) So I don't know how much he does at this point.

I had heard of him mainly in relation to Haskell, but Gary is right, he
was a big hg dev.  As for 'legal stuff', here's his email to the hg dev
list on the subject:
http://lwn.net/Articles/153990/

On the question of literature on DCVS, there is a recent conference
article that is a bit more promising:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CHASE.2009.5071408

Since it seems to be an ongoing research project documenting projects'
experience of switching from centralised to decentralised VCS, it might
be worth bzr people getting in touch and providing info.  e.g. it would
be fantastic to have published in-depth reports on the Emacs switch to
bzr, and the MySQL switch would also be interesting -- as this is a
distributed-to-distributed transition ...