bzr 2.1 retrospective

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Sat Feb 20 06:37:00 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 01:32 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Martin Pool wrote:
> > One nice outcome of stable branches is that people can remove old
> APIs
> > more easily, and plugins within a series will not be broken.  It's
> > very good to see for example Jelmer recently deleting unnecessary
> > APIs.
> >
> > * affirmed: API stability by code branch
> > * affirmed: delete crufty code!
>
> These are great things, but as the maintainer of bzr-pipeline, it's
> felt
> like a bumpy ride following the betas.  APIs have been more subject to
> change in the beta series, yet because they're betas, require_any_api
> doesn't distinguish between beta1 and the final released version.  I
> think there's room for improvement here.

I agree. I'd actually like to see API deprecation be done for any change
that is a break vs the last stable release. That way, *if* I don't want
to update, I can ignore things until the trunk goes stable again.

As it is, it appears to be that trunk is neither doing API stability vs
last-stable, nor deprecations within-trunk, which makes running a plugin
in trunk annoying.

-Rob