[Drizzle-discuss] UTF-8/File Systems

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Feb 19 00:35:23 GMT 2010

On 19 February 2010 11:22, Tim Penhey <tim at penhey.net> wrote:
> Does Bazaar have a known issue with UTF-8 filenames?

If you search for bugs tagged 'unicode' you may find some.

The main problem is on mac os x where the os 'helpfully' rewrites
filenames into a normal form.  So mkdir(a) does not guarantee that a
exists, only that something with a name representing the same
characters as a exists.

The other thing people tend to hit is that bzr insists filenames be
valid in the OS filesystem encoding: if it's declared to be utf-8 then
the names must actually be utf-8.

If they want to file or vote for a bug please do.

Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>