Synchronizing two svn repositories with bzr. Is this possible?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Tue Feb 16 10:45:28 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 07:33:32PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 19:17 +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > I have two subversion repositories that contain mostly the same content.
> > Just a couple of files are different in those repositories. Now, I'd like
> > to "synchronize" those repositories. That is: if a change is committed
> > into one of them, I'd like to merge (cherry-pick?) this commit into the
> > other.
> >
> > With git, it is possible to specify two (or even more) remote svn
> > repositories and move patch sets this way. While this works, it is rather
> > complicated to do with git. Maybe there's a way to work against multiple
> > svn repositories with bazaar? Any ideas?
> If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, this is indeed
> possible.
>
> You would need to keep a local copy of the repository you are trying to
> merge into. When a new commit is made into the first branch, you would
> be able to cherrypick it like you would with a normal bzr branch.

Thanks for your response, Jelmer!

Can you give me an example how to do that? I tried

 bzr clone https://svnserver/repos1 mergerepos
 cd mergerepos
 bzr merge https://svnserver/repos2 mergerepos

but bzr complains that the branches have no common history. While this is
(technically) correct, it is incorrect in reality. In reality, repos2 was
created from repos1 via svnadmin dump/load a long time ago. But bzr can not
know that, since the UUID changed. After this initial "clone", I did a lot
of manual "cherry picking" to keep the repositories in sync.

So, how do I create a bzr branch that can work against both svn repositories?