[RFI] Annotations cache & progressive display of annotations

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Feb 15 20:56:59 GMT 2010

>> I'd also like to hear from end users who use annotate frequently.
>> How often are you using the GUI vs command-line to view annotations?

I do it from a GUI which internally uses the command line (Emacs).
I expect most Emacs hackers do the same.  And our history is
sufficiently large (100K revision) that we do suffer from the slowdown
as well.

> (1) could be a reasonable win. (People tend to care about recently
> introduced text.)

FWIW, I mostly use annotation on code that is actually pretty/very old
(for more recent code, I tend to rely on my memory and other such
external factors instead).

        Stefan