colocated branches and auto nicknaming may solve merge&push problem.

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Feb 10 01:22:53 GMT 2010

On 8 February 2010 17:56, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
> But naming branch by hand should not be required for just a merging.
> I think auto naming is good to solve such a problem.
>
> 1. "bzr pull BRANCH" stores current branch if two branches are diverged and
>   current tree is colocated. Current nick used for the stored branch.
> If current
>   nick conflicts against other colocated branches' nick, nick is
> autonumbered like
>   "somenick-1"
> 2. "bzr merge colo:nick"   (1&2 in one "pull --merge" command seems good for me)
> 3. "bzr commit -m "merge some improvements.""
> 4. "bzr push"
>
> I prefer this workflow.
> Any suggestion about auto-nicknaming?

It's an interesting model.  bzr pull already has a defined behaviour
in the case of divergence, but I think it could usefully have at least
an option to pull the diverged changes into a colocated branch.
Alternatively, maybe bzr merge make a name available for the merged in
branch.  (You could have a namespace pending:1 meaning the pending
merged branch.)

So what is it that you like about this model?  That you can do the
pull separately from the merge, without specifically creating a mirror
of the other branch?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>