How to make a branch on Windows of a repository containing symlink?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Feb 9 01:08:12 GMT 2010

On 9 February 2010 05:15, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
>> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:44:05 +0200
>>
>> > 1- just skip them
>> > 2- make Windows symlink-like things
>> > 3- and I guess another is to write a plain file with the contents of the link
>>
>> I guess 99% of windows users will be happy with either 1 or 3.
>
> My vote is for 3.  That way, most packages will build (whatever
> ``build'' means in each package's context) seamlessly and correctly.
> With one, you could face failures because the files that are expected
> are not found.

Ah, I was thinking of a file whose contents were the filename to which
the link points.  What you thought I meant, we could call 4, which is
that bzr should actually copy the file in question.  We could at least
in principle do this when we build or update the tree, though
obviously it is not guaranteed to stay up to date at other times, and
it may get confusing if the user then modifies that file.

If the build process treats both the symlink and its referent as
strictly readonly this will probably work but if it tries to modify
them things will get quite confusing.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>