How to make a branch on Windows of a repository containing symlink?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Feb 8 20:29:27 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 15:10 -0500, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 4:44 AM, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> > Martin Pool пишет:
> >>
> >> This is <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/81689>; you can
> >> subscribe or mark it as affecting you (quasi-vote) if you like.
> >>
> >> It looks like the two options proposed there are:
> >>
> >> 1- just skip them
> >> 2- make Windows symlink-like things
> >> 3- and I guess another is to write a plain file with the contents of
> >> the link
> >>
> >> It seems to me that if we can do filtered views then we should be able
> >> to do something similar with 1.
> >>
> >> If I get to do this, I'd probably change the wt and treetransform to
> >> use a Transport at least for making symlinks, so that we have a
> >> central point to turn them off on unix for testing, etc.
> >
> > I guess 99% of windows users will be happy with either 1 or 3.
>
> #2 looks like it would be "easy" on Vista/7:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link
Unfortunately these symbolic links are not as flexible as standard Unix
symbolic links.

From that Wikipedia article:

"The default security settings in Windows Vista disallow non-elevated
administrators and all non-administrators from creating symbolic links."

It is possible to allow non-administrator users to create symlinks by
changing policies, but I don't think it is reasonable to require people
to make those changes to be able to check out branches with symbolic
links.

Would implementing #2 with a fallback to #1 or #3 if symlinks are not
available because of the users platform or their permissions?

Cheers,

Jelmer