Some feedback on colo plugin

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Feb 7 15:13:34 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:27:09AM -0600 I heard the voice of
Neil Martinsen-Burrell, and lo! it spake thus:

> So then that project would constitute a collection of three branches
> that should remain together?

At least in the simple case where you clone them all and update them
all, yes.  Your [the user] initial clone should get you all the
"important" branches (however that's defined in a given situation),
your later updates should bring in changes on all of them together,
and when new "important" branches become part of the collection you
should Just Get Them.  In general, any project where people follow
along via VCS wants something like this, any any project currently
using CVSup or svnsync or git/mtn/etc already have this.

(certainly don't take that as an exhaustive characterization of the
uses of bundles-of-branches; it's just the most obviously widespread
one that floats in my mind)

> How should merging from a fasces work?  It would seem to involve too
> many working trees to fit into the current model of a colocated
> workspace that has one tree that points to many branches.

Yes, I wouldn't think it would make sense to even do; merging is
fundamentally a branch-level operation.  It may not be practical to
have any sort of handling for diverging one-or-more branches in a
fascis without a full-blown remotes-ish system; that's one of those
things I explicitly deferred as "to be decided"   8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net