Some feedback on colo plugin

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Feb 7 13:31:47 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 01:48:28PM -0600 I heard the voice of
Neil Martinsen-Burrell, and lo! it spake thus:

> What situations would you expect people to want to manage entire
> colocated workspaces in?

The most obvious use-case that floats around in my mind relates to
projects with multiple active branches.  One can point at a very near
example of bzr, having bzr.dev/2.0/2.1 branches, for instance.

> I think that this needs deeper support in Bazaar similar to Jelmer's
> proposed colocated branch collection format.

One of my contentions in Fasces (which may not be emphasized as much
as it should be) is that, to really integrate colocation in bzr, a
necessary fundamental primitive to refer to branches _by name_ is
indispensible.  Fakery like switch et al currently have to refer by
location while looking sorta like referring by name would lead to huge
pain trying to extend to universality, and would never really work
well enough.

Of course, you can't pull off that sort of change in a plugin   8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net