Upgrading PyQt/Qt (was Updated Bazaar 2.1.0 release plan)

Gary van der Merwe garyvdm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 08:00:16 GMT 2010

On 04/02/2010 11:52, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> I'd also like to suggest we ship PyQt 4.7.1 and Qt 4.6 in the Windows
> installer for 2.1.0rc3. Those are the versions we'll have in Lucid (and
> in the OS X installer IIUIC) so that will give us a common "platform"
> wrt support issues.

I have some real reservations about this. I'm all for upgrading the
PyQt/Qt version in the windows version, and the minimum supported
version. This will allow us to use new features, like the ability to use
super, and not having to wrap every thing in a QVarent. But I am
strongly against doing this now.

Reasons:

1. Lack of testing.
-------------------
Due to a weak test suit, and the nature of the software, qbzr (and I
suspect BE to) relies alot on user testing. I don't believe that we have
many users/dog fooders that are using PyQt 4.7 / Qt 4.6. I know of 3
people that I have evidence for: Ian Clatworthy, INADA Naoki, Gordon
Tyler. This is not alot.

2. In the past, PyQt/Qt upgrades late in the cycle caused pain
When PyQt was upgraded in karmic to 4.6, it caused bugs in qbzr. I found
this situation very stressful, because I did not have the means to fix
the bugs.

3. Not really a problem using different versions on different platforms
While the windows installers have had PyQt/Qt 4.4 for a while, jaunty
users have had PyQt/Qt 4.5 and karmic users PyQt 4.6 Qt 4.5. This has
not been a problem.

Please, lets wait till early in the 2.2 cycle to upgrade.

Gary