[rfc] focus on Ubuntu updates rather than PPA packaging

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Jan 28 11:19:03 GMT 2010

2010/1/28 Max Bowsher <maxb at f2s.com>:
> Martin Pool wrote:
>> 3- want to use beta releases
>> 4- want to use nightlies to be closely involved in testing
>> I think we could bear to collapse cases #3 and #4: the nightlies are
>> no more buggy than beta releases and the api or ui churn is not much
>> more: in other words, we don't do any special work that makes beta3
>> any better than the trunk was the day before.
>
> However, users who habitually keep their system up to date on a day to
> day basis may welcome new beta releases, but find being prompted with
> new bzr packages daily to be an undesirable drain on their attention and
> their network bandwidth.
>
> I feel that there remains a valid use case for preferring betas to
> nightlies.
>
> I was musing on #bzr recently about trying to help revive the
> ~bzr-beta-ppa, although I have to admit that I've subsequently become
> somewhat distracted moving house.

I think it would be great to have that, it's just half a step lower
than getting the releases into real Ubuntu.  Perhaps we can work out
how to keep this more up to date.  I said before it seems to have a
maintainer lock; it obviously doesn't literally have one but it does
seem to rely a bit on state in peoples' heads, rather than being
something to which anyone can upload.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>