Pushing after merge considered harmful

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Tue Jan 26 20:41:09 GMT 2010

> From: Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:47:53 +0200
>
> BTW, I wrote series of articles about bzr mainline idea in Russian:
>
> http://bzr-day.blogspot.com/2009/09/mainline-1_08.html
> http://bzr-day.blogspot.com/2009/09/mainline-2.html
> http://bzr-day.blogspot.com/2009/11/mainline-3.html

Thanks, everything is clear.  I have only one question.  You say:

   ... a direct `push' [from a feature branch to mainline] is not a
   good idea, especially if your feature branch has more than one
   revision.

   If all your changes were committed as a single revision, you can
   choose whether to merge or push.  [...]

Can you explain what is the significance of a single revision vs
multiple revisions in this case?

> It takes me 3 attempts to articulate it without using word "DAG" in
> every second sentence.

IMO, it's a pity that the graphs are not mentioned and not discussed.
Especially since the snapshots you show from qlog actually show the
DAG.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and they are
right.  But a picture _with_ a thousand words based on it is worth
much more, in my experience.  Abstract ideas are much easily consumed
if they are illustrated by a picture, and a DAG is a very simple
picture.