Pushing after merge considered harmful

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 26 15:04:21 GMT 2010

Matthew D. Fuller writes:

 > Trying to describe what the option means for various operations is a
 > losing game, because the number of possible things you can do is
 > immense, so the list would be huge and seem full of special cases (and
 > always be incomplete, too).

That reads like an indictment of the Bazaar UI to me.  "There's no
complete description of the semantics of Bazaar commands, because it
would be huge and seem full of special cases (and always be
incomplete, too)."  Since a_r_o affects only a subset of the Bazaar
UI, you are a fortiori making that broader claim, too.

 > The option means to not disturb the mainline.  If that doesn't mean
 > anything to you,

<snort>  I can't speak for Eli, but I certainly have no trouble
understanding that.  However, the Moebius strip being one of my
favorite toys, "append revisions only" sure is a name that does
nothing for my intuition about the semantics of the option.  Maybe I'm
just weird, though.

Nomenclature aside, I think this ought to be on by default.