bzr push after bzr branch

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Wed Jan 20 10:45:46 GMT 2010

> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:23:47 +1000
> From: Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>
> CC: bazaar at lists.canonical.com, barry at canonical.com
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > One of the main problems with Bazaar documentation is that it almost
> > never talks about the effect commands have on the branch history
> > (except when a command explicitly operates on history alone).  For
> > example, the above detail about the differences between merge and push
> > is not explained anywhere, unless I'm missing something.
>
> This is partially covered in
> http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.2.0/en/user-guide/zen.html.

Thanks, but those are the bare basics, hardly a ``zen'' stuff.  All it
does is gently touch on what is history.  It doesn't even mention the
DAG word.  I think most software developers can easily understand the
general issues described on that page.  What is needed is more
in-depth and bzr-specific information that refers specifically to
transformations performed by bzr commands on the history DAG.  There
are a few such transformations mentioned on that page, but the
corresponding bzr commands are not named, only hinted upon.  (E.g.,
what does it mean to ``explicitly ask to mirror another branch''?)