bazaar-explorer and bzr-git kudos

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Wed Jan 20 01:15:41 GMT 2010

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

>> At some point, someone asked if there was a GUI for bzr, to which Tim
> talked
>> about bazaar-explorer. He showed it off. Since many of those were git
> users,
>> they wondered if that tool could also support git? Thinking about it a
> little,
>> Tim replied with "actually, it can probably support it right now!".
> After a
>> little help from Jelmer (also attending) to get the proper packages
> installed.
>> He demoed on the fly using bazaar explorer with a git branch to the
> admiration
>> of everybody.
>
> It wasn't just any git repo too, it was a 300 meg moodle repo, and it
> was all surprisingly quick in bzr-explorer.

That's no accident. I've taken great care since the earliest Explorer
release to keep performance a high priority. The QBzr team has also put
in great work to ensure qlog and friends work well on large repositories.

>> So kudos from Tim on making this work out-of-the-box!
>
> It was very cool!

Yes, the combination of explorer + bzr-{svn,git,hg} is a pretty
interesting one. FWIW, we're yet to put any explicit effort into making
the combination work better, e.g. the Push dialog doesn't support
"dpush" yet and the Send dialog doesn't support git patch bombs or hg
bundles yet.

With some minor enhancements like that by the time 2.2 is released say,
I'd like to think that the best GUI for svn, git and hg users will be
Bazaar Explorer . :-)

Ian C.