Best method to pull *fast*?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jan 19 15:37:35 GMT 2010

Hallöchen!

Ali Sabil writes:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Torsten Bronger
> <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> I stay up-to-date with CVS Emacs by pulling from the inofficial
>> Bzaar branch.  I don't contribute, I just want to synchronise
>> unidirectionally.  However, an ordinary "pull" generates 140
>> times more network traffic than bytes changed on the disk.  In
>> one case, I had a diff which was 500 kB big, but "bzr pull"
>> reported to have transmitted 80 MB.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Is there a faster way?
>>

> Did you try to use the launchpad mirror (bzr pull lp:emacs) ?

No, but thanks for the hint.  I switch to the Launchpad branch now.

However, the oddity remains.  Branching from a revision of mid
November, a following "bzr pull" takes 3.5 minutes, transmitting 92
MB of data.  However, "diff" produces a diff file which is only 1.7
MB big.  I understand that "bzr pull" has some overhead, but two
orders of magnitude are hefty.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de