Bazaar Explorer and PPA

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Mon Jan 18 23:45:58 GMT 2010

Tommaso R. Donnarumma wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 08:38 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> I'm sorry that we didn't notice this problem earlier. At this point,
>> debian repos don't really let us roll-back to 0.8.3 (which is pretty
>> crummy). I'm not sure how to get out of this mess without forcibly
>> upgrading everyone to the 2.1 series rather than the 2.0 series.
>
> I think this is what the epoch is meant for... If you really want to fix
> it now (instead that in a month), the package should be "upgraded" to
> 1:0.8.3 (not that this doesn't stink).

This solution only really works for Debian itself, being the base of the
packaging hierarchy. If you introduce an epoch in a PPA, those PPA
packages will be considered newer than EVERY FUTURE PACKAGE in Ubuntu
itself*. This is of course not wanted.

* Unless you convinced Ubuntu to take your epoch bump too. But they
wouldn't do that because then they'd have to maintain that epoch bump as
a delta against Debian, forever.

Max.