Bazaar Explorer and PPA

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Mon Jan 18 14:23:32 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 16:08 +0200, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
[ . . . ]
> > 2.  Oh no not another PPA :-((  Why can't we just have one PPA for all
> > the core Bazaar related released stuff.  I really don't want to have
> > 1000s of entries in my source.list.
>
> I don't understand you: I'm windows user and don't use PPA. I'm just
> know "they are exist". That's all I want to know.

Conversely, I have no interest in Windows ;-)

The problem here for Ubuntu users is that aptitude/apt-get/synaptic
require knowledge of all the sources of installable packages.  Each and
every source has to be named and the signing key installed.  This means
the fewer the number of sources the better.  Splitting Bazaar components
into separate PPAs is the fastest way to having no-one use them.
Having all the Bazaar components in a single PPA is an administrative
nightmare.   So really this is a lose--lose situation.  The right
balance is to declare a core set of components (and qbzr and bzr-gtk
call squarely into that set for Ubuntu) and suffer the management hassle
for these components.

The other argument I can use is that if Bazaar Explorer is on the Bazaar
PPA then QBzr really ought to be as well.

> > oh and
> >
> > 3.  If stuff on the Bazaar PPA is out of date and really isn't going to
> > be updated, please can someone remove it so as to avoid people getting
> > thoroughly confused.
>
> +1 on this.

If I had the rights I'd just do it, but . . .

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder