Cannot serve using bzr serve after doing an svn-import

Anteru newsgroups at catchall.shelter13.net
Sun Jan 17 13:22:41 GMT 2010

Hi,

we've just tried to serve a repository using plain bzr serve, but we're
running into an error when trying to pull (shameless note: For a longer list
of problems, see the "Migration from SVN" thread):

ERROR: Server sent an unexpected error: ('error', "[Errno 13] Can't open
file '/home/someuser/.subversion/servers': Permission denied")

Notice that /home/someuser/... is world-readable. The interesting this is
that it works when we serve as someuser, but it doesn't work when serving
using another user, which leads us to the conclusion that bzr might try to
write to that location. We tried to work around this by first importing into
a temporary directory, and then branching into the repository which would be
eventually served, but this results in the same error (idea was that it
would break any SVN dependency.) Any idea what's going on here?

Just for sanity checking, the user under which bzr serve is running can cat
that file, so reading does actually work. We can also branch locally using
bzr branch /source /target using the server user. Only serving and accessing
from remote fails.

Is there something similar to
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HgWebDirStepByStep for Bazaar? We really
looked hard for hard to set up a working Bzr server (as well as asked on
this newsgroup), without joy, and I think other users may face similar
problems as well.

Cheers,
  Anteru