Need help with workflow

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Sat Jan 16 01:43:35 GMT 2010

On 2010-01-15 14:15 , Gordon Tyler wrote:
> So I persuaded my wife to use Bazaar (she's used svn in the past) for a
> small project that she's working on and everything is going fine so far.
> The setup is currently as follows:
>
> On a shared server on our home network, there is a tree-less repo
> containing a trunk branch accessed via
> bzr+ssh://server/repos/project/trunk. On her PC, she has branched trunk
> into a directory, in which she makes changes, commits and then pushes up
> to the server when she wants to share the changes with me.
>
> Now that she wants to create another branch for making some changes in
> parallel without disturbing the stability of the trunk -- a feature
> branch. However, this is complicated by the requirement that her working
> directory has to be in a specific location. We can't just create a repo
> and have subdirectories for the branches.
>
> Would Neil's bzr-colo plugin be a good fit for this situation? What else
> would you suggest?

As John suggested, one local branch can be used to manage multiple
remote branches by managing the pull and push locations appropriately.
Personally, I prefer to have local copies of both branches, and combined
with the requirement that there be only one working copy, I think that
colo is a good fit.  Here's how I would do it, assuming that the current
branch located at $BRANCH:

$ cd $BRANCH
$ bzr colo-ify # make an ordinary branch into a colocated workspace
$ bzr colo-branch feature # also switches to the feature branch
$ bzr colo-branches
* feature
   trunk
$ bzr push bzr+ssh://server/repos/project/feature
# that should have been fast, assuming that /repos/project is a shared #
repository on the server
<change, commit, push at will>
$ bzr switch colo:trunk
$ bzr merge colo:feature
<test>
$ bzr ci -m 'merged feature branch'
$ bzr push

If you do try it, please let me know where the plugin and its
documentation could be improved.  Peace,

-Neil