Terminology for referring to branches during merges and conflicts

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 15 22:19:10 GMT 2010

Barry Warsaw <barry at canonical.com> writes:

> I have to be honest, no matter how many times I work out
> THIS/BASE/OTHER it never sticks in my head.

I have no trouble with “THIS” and “OTHER”; they easily (and correctly)
map to the two branches I'm already thinking about during the operation.
I always have difficulty with knowing the referent of “BASE” though.

--
 \           “I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I |
  `\          prayed with my legs.” —Frederick Douglass, escaped slave |