Terminology for referring to branches during merges and conflicts

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 15 02:20:56 GMT 2010

Gordon Tyler <gordon at doxxx.net> writes:

> However, a thought just occurred to me, why don't we use branch nicks?

Are branch nicks guaranteed unique?

=========
$ mkdir foo/ bar/

$ bzr init foo/devel/
Created a repository tree (format: 2a)
Using shared repository: /home/bignose/Projects/bazaar/

$ cd foo/devel/
$ echo "Lorem ipsum" > lipsum.txt
$ bzr add
adding lipsum.txt
$ bzr commit --message "Add lipsum.txt."
Committing to: /home/bignose/Projects/bazaar/foo/devel/
added lipsum.txt
Committed revision 1.

$ cd ../../
$ bzr branch foo/devel/ bar/devel/
Branched 1 revision(s).

$ (cd foo/devel/ && bzr nick)
devel

$ (cd bar/devel/ && bzr nick)
devel
========

If the nicks aren't guaranteed unique, I think it would be a mistake to
try to use them for distinguishing branches in a comparison or for
filename suffixes.

The “this” and “other” relative references still seem the least
troublesome to me.

--
 \              “Only the educated are free.” —Epictetus, _Discourses_ |
Ben Finney