Terminology for referring to branches during merges and conflicts (was: [RFC] How to better assist users in resolving conflicts)

Brian de Alwis briandealwis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 20:36:21 GMT 2010

On 13-Jan-2010, at 8:25 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

> OTOH, the “mine”/“theirs” terminology is needlessly distracting to me.
> Often there is no “mine”/“theirs” distinction; they're both mine, or
> they're both someone else's. So the terms aren't helpful in numerous
> cases, and I think it should be deprecated.

I completely agree — it caused me some initial grief to figure out which was which.  I'd prefer something indicating the source of the versions like "TREE" and "MERGE", or "LOCAL" / "OTHER".

Brian.

--
On bike helmets: "If you think your hair is more important than your brain, you're probably right."  (B. J. Wawrykow)