[RFC] How to better assist users in resolving conflicts

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Jan 13 07:36:54 GMT 2010

>> It would be a bit confusing to have 'resolve' and 'resolved' exist as
>> different commands, so I'd like to see if we can I think, as part of
>> <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/506265> we should remove the
>> 'resolved' alias.
>
> I have to say that I'm not read every message on this list and maybe I've
> missed something but I'm surprised by that bug, especially re `get` alias.
> I'm using it all the time because it shorter and simpler. So at least I'd
> like to understand why `get` is bad and will be removed?

There's nothing particularly wrong with 'get' in particular, and I
don't have any specific plans to use that name for anything else.
It's just that in the very early days of Bazaar I scattered synonyms
onto various commands with the idea that they would later be narrowed
down onto some more specific set, and I never got around to it until
now.  Multiple names for builtin commands causes some user cost (eg in
reading documentation or examples using 'bzr get' and wondering what
that is) and it restricts the names we can use in future.

I think keeping the abbreviation type commands like 'bzr st' is a
different thing and still ok.

I mentioned this in "countdown to bzr 2.1" a few days ago, but I don't
blame you for not seeing it, you're very welcome to flag this now.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>