Reconfigure (was Re: [RFC] Vanilla checkouts in 2.2)

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Jan 12 11:33:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:07:23PM +1300 I heard the voice of
Aaron Bentley, and lo! it spake thus:

> In fact, one of the points of reconfigure is to replace bind/unbind
> and other similar manipulations with a single command.

One shortcoming of reconfigure vs [un]bind (and similar
transformations, e.g. remove-tree/checkout) is that it specifies a
state rather than a transformation.  It's a `chmod 0775`, not a `chmod
g+w`.  Sometimes one is more convenient than the other, so I do think
we need both.

That isn't to say that one should be all options/subcommands on one
command, and the other scattered across a dozen commands, to be sure.
But on first blush, I'm a little leery of having both as options on
one command; it gets a little cluttered and overloaded.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net