[rfc] stop using fix-committed?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Jan 12 01:26:01 GMT 2010

Dear Bazaaristas,

I'd like to suggest we stop using the 'fix committed' status in
launchpad.  Changes for which a fix exists somewhere will be just 'in
progress' until they are landed to the relevant release branch or
trunk, at which point they will be 'fix released'.  At the moment, we
tend to use 'fix committed' for "fixed but not yet landed."

I'm thinking of this today because
<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/163694> (asking for fix
committed and fix released to be unified) may soon be done, at which
point the distinction will disappear.  So we might as well start
moving towards it.

But more generally, I think it's actually a better mental model to
keep them just 'in progress' once work has started until it's totally
done.  It's all work-in-progress inventory waste (in the lean sense).
Changing the bug state when the developer thinks it is fixed is not
conclusive because their change may not get through review: bugs that
are fix committed aren't guaranteed to be any easier to finish than
those still inprogress.  The mp gives a better view of it.

Also, just having a simpler system and showing all outstanding work on
a single page seems valuable, and we can avoid some user confusion
between the two similar green states, and some clicking overhead.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>