[RFC] branch --bind

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Mon Jan 11 07:07:35 GMT 2010

Martin Pool wrote:

> However, we can't make things a priority just because somebody happens
> to spend a couple of hours on it on the weekend.

Completely agreed.

> It seems to me the
> options are:
[snip]
>  * look for smaller bits to take first, which is what I hope to try here

Me too.

I'm very much of the opinion that great systems get developed by many
people making 100s of tiny improvements. Every now and then, we
certainly need to step back, survey the landscape and take on bold new
challenges (like the faster repo format in 2.0 or better memory
utilisation in 2.1). This particular change isn't one of those and was
never intended to be.

Despite my whinging, I also don't think fixing the issues around bound
branches and heavyweight checkouts are a high priority. The former
aren't perfect but they work fine for me 99% of the time. We certainly
need better doc explaining things (and I've raised a bug for that today)
though.

Ian C.