countdown to bzr 2.1

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Mon Jan 11 06:33:32 GMT 2010

Martin Pool wrote:

> If someone would like to try it, I think now would be a good time to
> deprecate some of the command synonyms we introduced in the very early
> days, like 'clone' for 'bzr branch'.

+1

> To get rid of them, I suggest we make them give a warning
> in 2.1 and then they can be removed in 2.2, six months later.

I'd like to suggest a more aggressive approach, i.e. simply remove them
and make it very clear in the Release Notes that they are gone. I think
that's desirable because "clone" (say) might mean something else
entirely in 2.2 and it will end up being safer to have a release (like
2.1) when it simply means nothing vs having it change meaning from one
release to the next.

I don't think command line users lose much by taking away a default
alias like clone - they can simply add it back as a personal alias in
their bazaar.conf file - so the risk is scripts that stop working.
There's are pros and cons either way but I feel a script falling over is
more likely to get updated that one continuing to work while putting out
a deprecation warning. The latter is most likely to get updated when the
command disappears, particularly if it's a cron job say.

Ian C.