[RFC] branch --bind

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat Jan 9 08:27:58 GMT 2010

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu at gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 00:41:43 +0100
> Cc: Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com>, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>,
> 	Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>,
> 	bazaar <bazaar at lists.canonical.com>
>
> So I agree with Eli's comment that "the main problem is that they use
> obscure phrases or terminology that is not explained where it is used,
> sometimes not explained anywhere."

Well, in this case, the terminology _is_ explained, see the section
"Concepts" in the Bazaar User Reference manual.  It does not explain
what is a "bound branch", though; in fact, the way the text is written
suggests that a bound branch and a heavyweight checkout (which is
confusingly called "heavy checkout") are one and the same, because it
says that "bzr bind" will turn a branch into a checkout.

Personally, I think that if the difference between a bound branch and
a heavyweight checkout is so subtle that it cannot be explained in a
user manual to a Bazaar non-expert, and even experts argue whether
they are or aren't the same, it's a clear sign that one of these
critters should simply go away.