Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 8 11:15:09 GMT 2010

Robert Collins writes:

 > I know other bzr advocates and perhaps some devs are on the emacs
 > list - are you getting appropriate support in making the existing
 > emacs workflows work well enough?

Yes, Martin and Karl are there at least, plus several other people
with DVCS knowledge (Óscar Fuentes deserves special mention for his
efforts).  That's not really a problem (except that more voices,
especially calm ones, always helps).  The problem is that what is
desired is for

    bzr checkout --lightweight <http URL> emacs
    cd emacs

then

    bzr update
    # work, including `bzr diff' etc
    bzr commit
    # lather, rinse, repeat

to be fast, at least as fast as CVS.  This is just not very realistic
with a dumb transport, even in competing with CVS.  Between the
stopgap mirror on Launchpad[1] and the eventual fix that will come
from the Savannah admins, we'll get to

    bzr checkout --lightweight <bzr+ssh URL> emacs

(or the appropriate "bzr switch" for existing branches) and then
things should look *very* reasonable to most people.

[placeholder to make room for thanks]

 > I think this is a really good and important point.

Thanks!

Footnotes:
[1]  "Stopgap" because the GNU folks dearly love their Savannah, not
because of any defect in Launchpad, I hasten to add.