[RFC] branch --bind

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Fri Jan 8 07:03:03 GMT 2010

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Matthew D. Fuller writes:

>  > FWIW, I consider that a _terrible_ idea,
>
> Note that it is *not* my idea, but rather one endorsed by *two* senior
> bzr developers at this point.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. It seems that a good percentage
of us agree that bound branches are useful and here to stay, regardless
of how we evolve checkouts and easier workspace setup from here.

I'm planning to go ahead and land the change for branch --bind. It
remains a step forward in that

  branch --bind

is more convenient than the two separate commands

  branch X Y
  (cd Y)
  bind X

As I pointed out in my original email, *my* driver for adding --bind to
the cli is because it's the best and safest way to build a better GUI
for branch. I hope to do that soon, perhaps this weekend.

Ian C.