Feature request: modify commit message in public repo

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Jan 6 01:13:05 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 09:07 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
> > I wonder if something like this could be implemented as a plugin with
> > the new hooks for showing user-data as part of 'bzr log'. That may be
> > limited to showing new info, and not modifying existing info, though.
>
> I though Robert had put together a spec for this but I can't see one
> under http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/DraftSpecs.
>
> It might be pretty straight forward if we keep it simple. How about
> something like a .bzrmeta/corrections file in ini format that looks
> something like:
>
>   [rev-id-x]
>   message = Commit message without the spelling mistake
>   author = ...
>
> 'bzr log' could be trained to check for corrections before displaying
> information.
>
> Down the track, we could add a 'correct' command. Initially though,
> manually editing the text file would be fine.
Shouldn't this information be repository-specific rather than
branch-specific? Otherwise we would have to provide extra context to
calls like Repository.get_revision().

In general, like with other metadata, I think this sort of information
should not part of the actual versioned tree but rather versioned
independently so that we're not convicted to supporting the current file
format forever.

Cheers,

Jelmer