[RFC] branch --bind

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Jan 5 22:31:58 GMT 2010

2010/1/5 A. S. Budden <abudden at gmail.com>:
> From my point of view, there are two ways to group the three working
> copy types (lightweight checkout, heavyweight checkout and branch):

That's a pretty good way to slice it but the definitions perhaps are
not so clear (eg the word 'local' is ambiguous about whether you mean
across directories or across machines.)

I think your categories can be rephrased as

 * is a copy of history stored locally?
   * false for lightweight checkouts, true for branches and bound
branches, not properly answered(?) by heavyweight checkouts
   * implies can you run diff/log when disconnected
 * can you commit and not have it go into the master?
   * false for all checkouts, true for real branches, complicated for
bound branches
   * equivalent to, can you commit when disconnected
   * at the moment this is handled by 'commit --local' and I suggest
that's an unnecessary complication

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>