Why does "view" not allow wildcards?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Jan 4 00:07:42 GMT 2010

2010/1/4 Juanma Barranquero <lekktu at gmail.com>:
> Before filling a bugreport for a wishlist item, I wanted to ask
> whether this was discussed and rejected during the filtered views
> development.
>
> Why does view only allows to set files (or directories), and not
> wildcards? It could certainly be useful, for example in Emacs I would
> likely have a view
>
>  bzr view --name changelogs ChangeLog*
>
> There are 59 ChangeLog.* files in the Emacs tree, too many to add
> manually, and unwieldy in the message
>
>  Ignoring files outside view. View is ...
>
>    Juanma

The general idea of having a view defined by a wildcard seems to make
sense and you're welcome to add a bug asking for it.  It's probably
feasible.

However in the specific example you give, at least on unix, the glob
is going to be expanded by the shell, so Bazaar won't know you didn't
manually specify all those names.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>