Is there an API function for removing revision(s) from a repository?

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Thu Dec 31 02:13:40 GMT 2009

I'm working on a plugin for easing the colocated branch workflow (a
working tree in directory x, shared repository in x/.bzr/branches) and I
would like to provide a command to remove a branch completely from the
shared repository.  I can easily remove the branch from the
.bzr/branches directory, but any new revisions that branch introduced
will still be in the repository.  Since the tips of the branches in
.bzr/branches are all of the active heads, it should be easy enough to
find the union of their ancestry and then remove the revisions that are
not in that set.  However, I can't find a method on Repository objects
that allows for the removal of revisions.  Does such a thing exist
currently?  If not, is such a thing possible with the data structures
that we have?  That is, will adding such a thing be possible before 3.0
or should I forget about it for now?

(The only way I know of now to accomplish this is to create a new shared
repository, branch all of the extant branches into that new repository
and then move the new repository into place.  This is terrible for large
projects and is O(history) like we keep trying to avoid.)

-Neil