Patch Pilot report

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Fri Dec 18 18:50:00 GMT 2009

    martin> 2009/11/23 Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com>:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I just finished the first round of patch piloting (see
    >> <http://bazaar-vcs.org/PatchPilot>) last week.  Robert's doing this week... and
    >> then the roster is empty.  Who wants to volunteer?

    martin> I'm taking over patch piloting this week, Vincent
    martin> will be next, and the pilot's chair is currently
    martin> empty for the week after that.

So I've filed the empty week and will leave Martin pilot again
starting next Monday (21 December).

As I'm writing this mail, there are 3 reviews ready to land, 2
unreviewed and 8 at least commented once.

There was 5 reviews ready to land, 2 unreviewed and 10 at least
commented once when I started.

I lost the count about how many were landed but bzr log says 48
patches landed during these two weeks. I wasn't involved in all
of them though, but at least 20 are from contributors or being
related. Wow, I didn't realize...

Two of the ready to land are waiting on a Contributor Agreement
with one of them already sent !

I tried hard to help non-core contributors getting started or
going with apparently good effect, it seems to me (both from
mails and IRC) that people got the message and the word is
spreading: the pilot is helping you!

I've been involved in several proposals where I spend may be more
time than strictly necessary but each time there was a lot of
comments and the contributor seemed blocked or not willing to
continue.

I thought this was part of the job and the feedback from
contributors or people interested in the features confirmed the
feeling.

There are other proposals that may require that deeper
participation from the patch pilot or some other core dev and I
will keep an eye on them.

Some raw numbers to put that in perspective: I spent ~14 hours
the first week and ~24 the second one. These numbers came from
the hamster time-tracking application in Ubuntu and since I've
started using it only a couple of weeks ago they may be a bit
wrong as I can't guarantee I switched tasks as rigorously as I
should have, so take them with a grain of salt. This time also
includes reviews for core contributors which are not strictly
part of the pilot's job IMHO but I was in the mood :) Finally, I
think I did a pretty poor job about asking other to do reviews
too :D

The
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+merges?field.status=WORK_IN_PROGRESS&field.status-empty-marker=1
page needs some cleanup, so please have a look at it and see if
any proposal needs your attention. Contributors and core devs
have pending proposals there, many of them against our old trunk,
so it may be good to cleanup that page (note to self: I'm talking
to you too).

In summary, I enjoyed being the patch pilot during these two
weeks :-D

     Vincent