Mac OS X Downloads are out of date .... again :(

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) brendan.simon at etrix.com.au
Wed Dec 16 10:36:42 GMT 2009

Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote:
> On 2009-12-15 20:40 , Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
>> Gordon Tyler wrote:
>>> It turns out (I really should have remembered this) that the default
>>> python on Mac OS X 10.6 *is* python 2.6. So, unless somebody really
>>> wants a python 2.5 version for Mac OS X 10.6, I'm only going to build a
>>> python 2.6 version.
>>
>> It doesn't make sense to have an 2.4 or 2.5 install for Snow Leopard
>> (10.6).
>>
>> Leopard definitely needs a 2.5 install.  A 2.6 install would be nice,
>> but not essential.
>>
>> My main point was that the version of 'bazaar' is not consistent.
>> There should be a 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and now 2.0.3 release for all OS X
>> versions.
>>
>> So when someone releases a version for OS X, they (or the other OS X
>> release managers) should build for all OS X versions, so that there is
>> not this divergence.
>
> It sounds like you have some interest in OS X binary packages, which
> suggests that you might have some access to OS X machines with various
> versions of that OS.  If there were a simple recipe for building the
> installers, would you be interested in doing that for some elements of
> the set {10.4, 10.5, 10.6} X {2.4, 2.5, 2.6}?  How simple would it need
> to be for you to be interested in helping out with this?

I do have some interest in OS X binary packages.  The main one being
ease of installation for users that are not python savvy or developers,
but users that may need to use Bazaar for version control.  e.g. a
graphic designer, or an author, etc.

Another thing that has been useful is the bundled explorer binary,
mainly because it has a binary install of Qt which is not available to
install separately -- it had to be compiled and installed.  That may
have changed now ??

So to answer your question, yes, I'd be interested in helping out where
I can.  I currently using a MacBook running Leopard, but I'm looking at
upgrading to a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard ... and selling the old
MacBook.

An alternative to having separate physical macs to do the builds, is to
have separate virtual macs using Parallels, VMWare, or other emulators.
 This assumes that the old OS X versions will run on new machines in
virtual environment.  e.g. will Tiger run on a new MacBook Pro or
MacMini, etc ???  I guess the newer OS releases will run on older Macs.

An even better approach was if there were some virtual hosting
businesses that could donate some OS X installs for building/releasing
??  That way a few OS X developers could login and build :)

A few MacMini machines on a permanent internet connection would do.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, Brendan.