Conflicts in removed files

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Tue Dec 15 22:44:37 GMT 2009

On 2009-12-15 21:57, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> The "persistent" was not meant to be opposite of "spurious",  just a little
> less emotive.  The "raising of temperature" is the last thing that is required
> in a discussion.  It is my considered opinion that in what Stefan has
> described, the conflicts that he experienced are surely "persistent".

The danger here is not "raising of temperature" of the discussion. The
issue is what sort of solution should be implemented. For spurious
conflicts, the answer is always "the solution that causes conflicts of
that type to never surface." Such a solution is inappropriate for this
issue, so it's important that we not label the conflict "spurious."

(I had too written a long treatise on how this was not a true spurious
conflict, but Aaron beat me to posting.)

> I think that some of the discussion would be much clearer if it was recognised
> that file deletion is regarded as a change to the deleted file in the resolution
> process. This, at least to me, explains why the bzr system has a built in
> mechanism of conflict resolution which can give rise for persisten conflicts,
> viz. conflicts in removed files.

I think it's rather clear from Bazaar's UI that deletions are considered
a version-tracked change. This is also a consistent approach with any
other file-centric, branch-aware VCS I know of.

Curium:bzrmv straussd$ bzr init branch4
Created a standalone tree (format: 2a)

Curium:bzrmv straussd$ cd branch4
Curium:branch4 straussd$ touch a
Curium:branch4 straussd$ bzr add
adding a
Curium:branch4 straussd$ bzr commit -m "a"
Committing to: /Users/straussd/Sandbox/bzrmv/branch4/

added a
Committed revision 1.
Curium:branch4 straussd$ bzr rm a
deleted a
Curium:branch4 straussd$ bzr stat
removed:
Curium:branch4 straussd$ bzr commit -m "-a"
Committing to: /Users/straussd/Sandbox/bzrmv/branch4/

deleted a
Committed revision 2.
Curium:branch4 straussd$ bzr diff -r1..2
=== removed file 'a'
Curium:branch4 straussd$

--
David Strauss