When to announce a release (was: 2.0.3?)

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 14 21:59:42 GMT 2009

Gordon Tyler <gordon at doxxx.net> writes:

> I realize that the people who build the installers don't have a lot of
> spare time, but for the majority of bzr users the release is the
> binary installer. To my mind, there's no point in announcing bzr 2.0.3
> unless the binary installers are ready.

I disagree with that. The release of a new version of Bazaar is a single
event, and is significant in that the object represented by that version
will no longer be changing from that point forward.

Binary installers for a specific version are separate, and do not all
appear at the same time. For users of Debian “testing”, for instance,
the release of 2.0.3 means that we'll have it available to install some
time up to a few months later :-) That's a significant event, but is a
separate event from the release of the Bazaar code at version 2.0.3.

Moreover, the two events (release of Bazaar at version X, availability
of binary installers for Bazaar version X) are necessarily serial: the
latter must wait for the former, and until the former happens there's
only so much people can do to assist the latter.

If you like, you could consider the release of Bazaar version X as a
starting gun: it drops the barrier to providing assistance to the
creators of your favourite binary installer :-)

--
 \             “No smoothen the lion.” —lion cage, zoo, Czech Republic |
Ben Finney