Explorer 0.10.0 release plans - call for testing and translations

A. S. Budden abudden at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:49:51 GMT 2009

2009/12/11 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>:
>> Do you think there's any chance that
>> this merge request...
>>
>>     https://code.launchpad.net/~abudden/bzr-explorer/remote-feature-branches/+merge/15487
>>
>> might land before 0.10.0?  It's been there for a while now, but I've
>> had no feedback at all.
>
> Sorry about that. It's been a rough week personally and I've been
> scrambling to wrap some other stuff up before heading off on leave.
>
> In a nutshell, 'easier initialization' didn't make the 0.10.0 cut. :-( I
> need some more time to think through the various options including your
> proposal (which looks fine conceptually).

Ah well, that's a shame... I guess we'll have to apply the remote
feature branch patch manually on every install: I doubt there'll be a
new Windows installer with remote feature branches ready by the 7th
January!

>> We're planning on rolling out Bazaar
>> throughout the software developers in our company in January and it
>> would be significantly easier if this workspace model was part of the
>> Bazaar standalone distribution rather than getting everyone to install
>> a custom version of Bazaar Explorer or go through the current 4 or 5
>> steps to start a new project.
>
> I'm very aware of the need for this to be nicer. I hope to hack on it
> over the xmas break. No promises but we might have things better by January.

When I was looking through the initialisation code, I wondered about a
possible modification with the radio buttons replaced by a combo box
and all the various commands farmed out to separate plugins (and hence
all the functionality provided in a single file for each workflow).  A
few very basic workflows could then be provided and users could easily
make their own, install a separate plugin and work in their own
preferred way without having to have a 300 line diff merged into the
Bazaar Explorer core.  There seemed to be quite a lot of repeated
information required in several places when I implemented the remote
feature branches model, so I guess achieving this would probably be
quite hard work...

I would have liked to have looked at it in a lot more detail given
sufficient time, but I thought that adding a single extra radio-button
option to the init dialog would be a good place to start learning my
way around, hence my little merge proposal.

Regards,

Al

--
http://sites.google.com/site/abudden