programming reddit: "Bazaar blows goats"

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 11 01:58:56 GMT 2009

Ben Finney writes:

 > In the interest of not hiding from criticism and the VCS zeitgeist:

I'm not going to touch Reddit with a ten-foot pole, but for the record
here I'll say I've not seen any issues with bzr from MacPorts except
those that are discussed on this list; I'm surprised by the claims
that interrupting Bazaar causes problems.  (Admittedly so far for
large projects it's mostly "read-only", the stuff I actually work on
myself is git or Mercurial for historical reasons, and interrupting
bzr is something I do about once a month.)  OTOH, I wouldn't be
surprised if the MacPorts integration is somehow hosed.  I've found it
to be a real haven for cargo-cult developers, thank heaven for the -k
switch and the restartable install command!

I also don't use Snow Leopard, which seems to be a great font of
troubles for MacPorts.

 > There's also a comment explaining why Bazaar's handling of history as a
 > mainline with branches is good. Is it by one of our regulars?

Note that on the emacs-devel list there are a couple of vocal regulars
pushing for a git-oriented view (and this matters, because it would be
embedded in vc.el IIUC).  Specifically, this history

3.  merge "Fix a typo."
    3.1 Fix a typo.
2.  Add a Feature.

is being called evil.  Andreas sorta backtracked on that, but I think
that's the way he really feels about it.