The progress bar that doesn't convey any sense of progress (was Re: ...)

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Thu Dec 10 14:47:55 GMT 2009

On 09/12/2009 7:46 PM, Martin Pool wrote:
> Oh, the other point I had was that there's almost certainly code you
> could reuse/adapt to do this already.

Where? I only really looked at TextProgressView when I was first writing
SimpleProgressView.

> I think the next best step would be a decaying average (what is the
> correct name?) as John suggested.

I think I'll try John's weighted calculation first because it sounds
simpler to implement. We can tweak the weighting as necessary.

> Also it could be nice to have -Dbytes print out, as bzr exits, the
> total bytes sent/received, the total time, and the total rate, just
> like we do with -Dhpss.  That may help with the "was this reasonable
> overall or not" and "how close did we get to saturating the link",
> while still letting the instantaneous measure tell you if we're
> currently cpu, bandwidth or rtt bound.

I'll have to dig around to see how the -D stuff is dealt with.

Ciao,
Gordon