rebase says "No revisions to rebase" but I think that there are some

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Dec 9 19:31:18 GMT 2009

Francis Devereux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been working on a bazaar branch of a subversion for a while and I
> now want to push my changes into the subversion trunk.
>
> When I try "bzr push ../svn-trunk/", I get "bzr: ERROR: Operation denied
> because it would change the mainline history." which is as I would
> expect.  However, when I then do "bzr rebase ../svn-trunk/" I get "No
> revisions to rebase.", which is not what I would expect. Can anyone
> explain why this is happening or help me to get my changes into svn
> without rewriting history in the svn repository (which I fear might
> cause problems, although maybe I just need to understand some more about
> what it would do).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Francis
>
> P.S. here's a transcript of the commands I've used:

You might consider using "bzr replay" rather than "bzr rebase". I'm not
sure whether "bzr rebase ../trunk" is trying to put my patches on trunk,
or trunks patches on self.

Also, you may need to update your svn trunk. (cd ../svn_trunk; bzr pull)

The error about not letting you 'bzr push' is because:

1) You did bzr merge ../trunk; bzr commit rather than
2) cd trunk; bzr merge ../my-branch; bzr commit

Looking at an ancestry graph, one is:

 |\
 B C
  \|

versus

 |\
 B C
 |/

One could argue that those are equivalent, but order-of-parents matters
in bzr. It matters even more in bzr-svn. svn only mirrors the 'mainline'
commits. So in SVN, you would either get:

1)

 C ?
 |/

2)

 B ?
 |/

Since B is already in the svn repo, we can't freely change it to C. (The
? is a link that bzr-svn writes which bzr understands, but which svn
does not.)