rebase says "No revisions to rebase" but I think that there are some

Francis Devereux francis at devrx.org
Wed Dec 9 19:04:30 GMT 2009

Hello,

I have been working on a bazaar branch of a subversion for a while and
I now want to push my changes into the subversion trunk.

When I try "bzr push ../svn-trunk/", I get "bzr: ERROR: Operation
denied because it would change the mainline history." which is as I
would expect.  However, when I then do "bzr rebase ../svn-trunk/" I
get "No revisions to rebase.", which is not what I would expect. Can
anyone explain why this is happening or help me to get my changes into
svn without rewriting history in the svn repository (which I fear
might cause problems, although maybe I just need to understand some
more about what it would do).

Thanks,

Francis

P.S. here's a transcript of the commands I've used:

francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr --version
Bazaar (bzr) 2.0.2
   Python interpreter: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python 2.6.4
   Python standard library: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6
   Platform: Darwin-9.8.0-i386-32bit
   bzrlib: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib
   Bazaar configuration: /Users/francis/.bazaar
   Bazaar log file: /Users/francis/.bzr.log

Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Canonical Ltd.
http://bazaar-vcs.org/

bzr comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  bzr is free software, and
you may use, modify and redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
General Public License version 2 or later.

francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr plugins
bzrtools 2.0.1
     Various useful commands for working with bzr.

explorer 0.9.0dev
     Version Control for Human Beings.

launchpad 2.0.2
     Launchpad.net integration plugin for Bazaar.

loggerhead 1.17.0
     Loggerhead web viewer for Bazaar branches.

netrc_credential_store 2.0.2
     Use ~/.netrc as a credential store for authentication.conf.

qbzr 0.15.0
     QBzr - Qt-based frontend for Bazaar

rebase 0.5.4
     Rebase support.

search 1.7.0dev
     search is a bzr plugin for searching bzr content.

svn 1.0.1
     Support for Subversion branches

xmloutput_0_8_4 0.8.4
     This plugin provides xml output for status, log, annotate,
missing, info,

francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr merge ../svn-trunk/
Nothing to do.
francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ cd ../svn-trunk/
francis at spaceman svn-trunk $ bzr info
Repository checkout (format: 2a)
Location:
   repository checkout root: .
         checkout of branch: svn+ssh://shoreham.<our-domain>/home/svn/
repos/Websites/asset-bank
          shared repository: /Users/francis/Code/Bright/asset-bank-2
francis at spaceman svn-trunk $ cd ../attval-perfenh/
francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr info
Repository checkout (format: 2a)
Location:
   repository checkout root: .
         checkout of branch: bzr+ssh://ringmer.<our-domain>/home/bzr/
repos/asset-bank/branches/attval-perfenh/
          shared repository: /Users/francis/Code/Bright/asset-bank-2

Related branches:
     push branch: /Users/francis/Code/Bright/asset-bank-2/svn-trunk
   submit branch: /Users/francis/Code/Bright/asset-bank-2/svn-trunk
francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr push ../svn-trunk/
bzr: ERROR: Operation denied because it would change the mainline
history. Set the append_revisions_only setting to False on branch "svn
+ssh://shoreham.<our-domain>/home/svn/repos/Websites/asset-bank" to
allow the mainline to change.
francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr rebase ../svn-trunk/
No revisions to rebase.
francis at spaceman attval-perfenh $ bzr missing ../svn-trunk/
You have 188 extra revision(s):