[RFC] depend on testtools for testing?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Dec 7 01:37:43 GMT 2009

2009/10/29 Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>:
> lp:testtools is a project Jonathan Lange started to consolidate many
> extensions to python unittest. There is considerable overlap with bzr's
> test support infrastructure, and bzr currently depends on it for
> selftest --subunit.
>
> I'd like to delete from bzr the code that is present in both places for
> a few reasons, primarily maintainability - I'm working with upstream
> Python to get unittest's most blatant extensibility limitations fixed -
> something that will [if successful] lead to bzr's tests working better
> with IDE's and external tools (such as pqm's subunit support).
>
> However, adding a new dependency always has some risk, and when
> discussing this with Martin he was concerned that we'd make things
> harder for folk to use or develop bzr.

I'm convinced testtools is getting useful new features and is a live
project and accepting changes, so if it's feasible to do so I think it
would be better to depend on it and do our test framework enhancements
there.  This would of course be only in 2.1 not 2.0, and not at the
last minute of the 2.1 freeze.

Robert put up a patch - reviews welcome -
https://code.launchpad.net/~lifeless/bzr/subunit/+merge/15704

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>