Source in Bazaar, building Debian source package format 3.0

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Sun Dec 6 08:46:23 GMT 2009

On Wed Nov 25 03:22:50 -0500 2009 Ben Finney wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> We have a useful ‘bzr-buildpackage’ program to take a Bazaar repository
> and build a Debian package. This has served me reasonably well with the
> Debian source format version 1.0.
>
> Now a change is coming: the long-fermenting Debian source formats
> version 3.0 <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0> are now
> supported by the Debian package repositories.
>
> The move is now on to get the package-development tools up to speed with
> the new formats, as discussed at
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0#Validationofalltoolswithnewsource
> formats>.
> Unfortunately ‘bzr-buildpackage’ is listed as “Not tested yet”.
>
> What can I expect if I try using ‘bzr-buildpackage’ on a code base
> specified as Debian source format “3.0 (native)” or “3.0 (quilt)”? Has
> anyone succeeded, or have war stories to tell?

Building one should work fine, if it is not much more than a 1.0 package
in new clothing.

Importing them is another matter. There are a couple of things that need
to be fixed for that to happen (notably the different way that you have to
get the upstream tarball extracted.) I'll be working on them soon.

Dealing with things like multiple upstream tarballs is going to be tricky.
Last I looked there was no way to know that the extra tarballs should be
provided, so we can't properly roundtrip. When I raised this point it
was not considered important, I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Thanks,

James